Saturdays 9 - 1 pm • January 11 - April 12, 2014

Email: corvallisindoorwintermarket@gmail.com

Monday, January 14, 2013

Vendor Post: Daniel Conan Young

Dan is one of the new vendors who is sharing a booth space with one of our long-time vendors. He is a graphic artist who has been a vendor at the Saturday Market for over 30 years and has been making ceramics garden tiles for over 20 years that are so durable that they will be around a lot longer than we will be.
Dan has one of those minds that can easily express himself at the drop of a hat. He wrote this for our blog while at the Market on Saturday, January 12.
Dan Wrote:
The old saying is “the first time you do something is twice as hard as the next time, because next time you’ll know what to expect.”  Looking back on my first time vending at the Corvallis Indoor Winter Market, I’d say “Right on, old saying.”
For starters, my heater and defroster in the minivan died a coughing, lingering death the week before I lost my job, which was the week before the Market began, which was on the same day the Artic Front came in and covered us with glittering nasty Pogonip (freezing) fog.
I am amazed that instead of going right back to bed at 5:45 A.M. in the black, icy morning, I got up got dressed (4 layers) and spent 15 minutes cursing the ½” of permafrost I had to scrap off the windshield.
Fortunately, that was the hardest thing I had to do all day; I had a ride to the show, I enjoyed set-up (indoor winter shows are new to me) and even the odd little details (non-stop Celtic music; the men’s room is painted the same acid yellow as a bile attack) were enjoyable.
No sales – (a lot of I’ll be back next Saturday) – but that’s okay, because I’ll be back, too.
Daniel Conan Young, Barbarian Studio.    – January 12, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment